Monday 27 October 2014

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Incredibly creepy and disturbing. Those are the first two words that pop into my mind when asked to describe this book.
The Giver is a very short and quick read that took me three chapters to warm up to. I was convinced that it was just going to be a mediocre combination of Brave New World and The Hunger Games, but at the end I was racing through the pages to find out what would happen next, to learn more about this strange and controlled world and to get to know the main character better.
Considering that this book was only less than 200 pages long, I found the author did a very good job in creating characters that held the reader's attention and that were explained and even developed with few words and without any useless details.
I assume that since it is the first part in an installment of multiple parts is why it ends so abruptly and without a clear conclusion.
I liked it well enough to consider reading the next part and I would also recommend it to anyone, who wants to try the unfamiliar genre of fantasy without having to commit to an epic narration.

View all my reviews