Monday 27 October 2014

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The Thirteenth TaleThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finished this book yesterday, but was too much in a daze to form one coherent sentence until now.
From the very first page I was mesmerized, spellbound and led into a different world. The narration was so personal, it felt like the main character was speaking to you and only you; like this story was written only for the reader currently holding the book. The descriptions of the settings contained enough detail to provide a clear picture and invite the reader into the world of the story without being overwhelming.
The characters were richly created and showed depth, but the author took her time to let them fully develop in front of the reader, which added to the mystery of the story.
I will avoid writing anything about the plot of fear that I give away some small hint that could ruin the mystery that makes this story so powerful. All I can say is that this story is filled with mystery, elements of classic Victorian goth and shows the depth of human grief and tragedy.
I am rarely so immersed in a story that I cannot think straight when I am not reading it. Once I was so cold my fingers and toes were turning blue and I still was not able to put the book down for a mere two minutes to grab a blanket.
I certainly recommend this book, but don't expect to accomplish much else.

View all my reviews