Monday 15 May 2017

Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield #1) by Kate Watson

Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield, #1)Seeking Mansfield by Kate Watson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I read this book almost two months ago and it took me this long to sit down and write a review. I feel slightly ashamed for that, but this story took me a lot of going back and forth and back and forth (you get the idea) on how to rate and review it. Since this is a retelling of a favourite story of mine, I know it very well and obviously have a very high opinion of anything that tries to resemble it. In addition, I can’t remember ever having read or reviewed a retelling of an original story.
The characters were all very true to the original with, of course, the additions and modifications that are needed for a modern version. I have to say that through the representation of Fanny in this story I was quite baffled with how little I actually liked the character in the retelling as well as in the original. However, the conflict that arises between her weak personality and her situation is something that will keep the reader engaged for the entirety of the story.
The plot is obviously taken from the original by Jane Austen, Mansfield Park, and it remains true to it until the end, excepting some modifications to adjust for the current time.
The writing was smooth, easy flowing and comfortable to read for hours on end. I noticed a few didactic moments that kept being repeated that I thought were not completely necessary, but those did not take away from the overall story.
Overall, the more I think about it the more I have to say that this is a great introduction to the story by Jane Austen, for anyone who would find the original too intimidating. I would also recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good summer beach read.

View all my reviews