Monday 27 October 2014

A Discovery Of Witches by Deborah Harkness

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Well, that was crap.
I lost my review just as I was about to click "save" and since I don't believe that this story is worth spending any more time on it than absolutely necessary, I will only provide a short commentary.
The characters are flat, uninteresting and possess a sense of entitlement that had me rolling my eyes constantly by chapter 17.
The plot was great until I actually started reading the story and it became obvious very fast that this resembles more a 600-page long foreplay description than an actual story about paranormal entities and a mysterious manuscript.
The writing began to repeat itself by chapter 10 as the author was unable to move past describing gray eyes and gray sweaters. In general, the execution of the entire idea resembled a badly written daily soap opera that was more painful to witness than a train wreck in slow motion.
I am greatly disappointed by the author's lack of creativity and would not recommend this book to anyone. I will continue my search in finding good quality paranormal mystery stories, since this is definitely not it.

View all my reviews