Monday 27 October 2014

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)Angelfall by Susan Ee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

While browsing through the bookstore throughout the summer I kept finding this book and kept being drawn to it, but I was reluctant to give it a try due to some disappointments in the young adult fantasy genre I have already experienced. However, I was asked to read it and give my honest opinion. With raised eyebrow and slight hesitation I began and was amazed. I almost forget what good young adult fantasy books are until this story. It was great a story with a unique voice and individuality in a genre that is filled with identical characters and plot lines.
It is so refreshing meeting a main character and heroine of a fantasy/adventure story that is down to earth, realistic, witty, not afraid to fight and get muddy and still show the humanity within her that allows the reader to sympathize and identify with her. The secondary characters are well fleshed out, with distinctive personalities that are atypical for this genre, which adds to the unique nature of this story. There exists chemistry between the main character and the antagonist, yet it is presented tastefully and without any cliches or sappy love story on the side.
The plot moves along at a constant pace that is neither too slow nor too fast. The author did a remarkable job in taking her time explaining and describing each stage of the main character's journey without lingering too much and making it painfully slow. It shows great talent and skill on the author's part to create a pace that is realistic and includes enough detail to keep the story interesting without sounding long winded.
The writing is excellent. The wit, the teenage view of the world mixed with the post-apocalyptic despair and the budding humour of a female character that is slowly reaching womanhood is a delight to read.
I was only able to read one chapter at a time for the first week of reading this book, which drove me almost mad, since this story gripped me from the very first sentence, which throws the reader immediately into the action. I clutched my reader in great anticipation to finish this book, physically and emotionally exhausted.
I definitely recommend this book to anyone, who appreciates a good story, great writing, fantasy, adventure and something other than teenage angst stuck between the pages.

View all my reviews