Monday 27 October 2014

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird BoxBird Box by Josh Malerman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

To say that this story was haunting me for the duration it took me to finish would be an understatement. It stalked me. It gave me nightmares. It gave me this uncomfortable feeling, making me almost drop the book every time an unexpected noise startled me. I asked the sales associate at the bookstore for a creepy, eerie book and I certainly got what I asked for with this story.
The characters are well thought out with a certain degree of distance that keeps the reader interested and adds to the eeriness of the atmosphere.
The plot and structure of the narration was impeccably executed with the constant interchange between the past and the present.
The writing is crisp and clear, descriptive, yet not overly done so. It flows nicely and adds to the quick pace of the plot development.
In all, I spoke to about three or four sales associates at the bookstore before finally purchasing this book. The overall consensus was that of a spellbound nature. They seemed captured and entangled in the story and even though this is not usually my genre of first choice, it had me just as engulfed in it.
I recommend it to anyone, who likes psychological horror or wants to try a new genre.

View all my reviews