Monday 27 October 2014

Happily Ever After by Harriet Evans

Happily Ever AfterHappily Ever After by Harriet Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Unsure what to expect, I started two books at the same time just in case I would get bored or frustrated with this story. However, I couldn't put it down. It was a very easy read, the story flowed nicely, although sometimes the jumps in months or even years required me to orientate myself anew (this didn't not take long, though).
I found the main character was more fleshed out and life-like throughout the first part of the book as compared to the second part where the plot focuses more on the conflicts within and involving the character.
There was never a slow moving portion in the narration and the story, even though it took up almost 500 pages, went swiftly and logically. The outcome was slightly predictable, but that was also evident in the title.
The reason why could not give this book a 5-star rating was simply because I found small inconsistencies in the main character as she matures throughout the story and the fact, as mentioned above, that she was easier to relate to in the first part of the book.
The book contains some simple truths about life and a great deal of background information about the vast and intimidating world of publishing.
It is a great read for lazy afternoons.

View all my reviews