Monday 27 October 2014

Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson

Before I Go To SleepBefore I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

After work last night I decided to stay up until 1:30 am to finish the last bit of the book so that I could start my weekend without having to think about it. Once I closed the book for the final time, I had to ask myself what exactly I have been reading. To be honest, I picked up this book at a bookstore closing sale for 50% off and decided to give it a go just to see what all the hype was about.
Generally speaking, I felt I was reading the story line of a Lifetime network movie. I kept wondering when the actual conflict of the story was going to start, the characters, including the protagonist were two-dimensional at best without any depth, personality or character traits and about 100 pages into the story I was certain how this story would turn out. The only reason I continued to read this book is because I accidentally read the last page and was wondering how the author would tie up those loose ends.
Many people say they couldn't put a book down, because it was so good. I could not put this book down, because the quicker I got through this the quicker this story with its many cliches and inconsistencies would be over.
I always find it interesting to read a story from the perspective of the gender opposite that of the author's. In the case of this story, I felt the author deliberately kept from fleshing out the main character, because he was unsure of how to infuse a character with real feminine traits to bring alive a woman on paper.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to anyone, although I also would not refuse to lend it to someone, who is curious and wants to see what the fuss was all about for themselves.

View all my reviews