Monday 27 October 2014

The Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd

The Solitary HouseThe Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finished this book less than half an hour ago and I am still suspended in its world, not quite sure what is reality and what is just fiction.
I started reading it almost a month ago, picking it up here and there, only reading a few pages each time and then not touching it for over week. I can't explain why I was so reluctant to fully commit to this story at first, but it has become utterly clear to me now. Once you give it your full attention, it will not let you go until long after you have turned the last page.
The main character is richly created. He shows weakness and strength, and moreover does not seem superhuman.
The description of London in 1850 is absolutely remarkable, not only from a scenic point of view, which in this case includes the ugly truth of the industrial revolution, but also its raw and factual statements of life in an overcrowded city, far removed from the typical Victorian proprieties, ribbons and respectful courtships.
I tremendously enjoyed the subtle inclusions of Charles Dickens references and the author's skill and talent to incorporate elements of his writing style within her own.
With respect to the actual plot of this detective story, I was rather clueless of the extent and depth of the conspiracy the main character was to solve.
This book is a great detective story that, I think, fans of this genre would appreciate with the added bonus of including many snippets of information and points of interests to those, who are also interested in Victorian London and Victorian literature.

View all my reviews