Monday 27 October 2014

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

The Lost Summer of Louisa May AlcottThe Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I needed a bit of time after finishing the book before I could write a review. I have always been fascinated by Louisa May Alcott, although I could never get myself to read Little Women except for a few excerpts for my American literature class during which we all discovered that it contains a very strong didactic undertone. Reading a story about Louisa that weaves fact and fiction so beautifully together and presenting her as a character with both faults and virtues that brings her alive as she would have lived back then is an invaluable treat for American literature enthusiasts.
The story itself is superbly narrated. It flows effortlessly with a steady but quick pace that will not bore the reader.
Louisa's character was witty, thoughtful, full of depth, weaknesses and strengths and the author made a great effort to provide insight into her psychology.
Since Louisa's father held such a dominant presence throughout her entire life, I have to make a quick comment about his character in this story as well. After having read a biography that focused one third on her father, I had an abstract idea of what this man could have been and what influences he practiced over Louisa. However, after having read this story the actual character of the father became more of a flesh and blood person than just a mere father figure. The author was able to take the facts and give the father a personality, which at times infuriated me to the core.
Overall, this story was well written, included a bit of humor, romance, family drama and tragedy, all in a perfect ratio.
I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a great story that is excellently told and also would like to read one author's idea of the real life Louisa May Alcott.
I would also suggest reading a biography on Alcott to fully appreciate the author's skill of combining fact and fiction in this story.

View all my reviews