Sunday 23 November 2014

If I stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't really comment too much on this story, since I would unintentionally give part of the story's intent away.
In general, I have to say that it was a good story. It addressed a few topics that could provide much food for thought.
It was mostly centered around the main character, Mia, who has a sense of humour, is a bit feisty and possesses the usual adolescent insecurities, we all know and have lived through.
The plot is interesting, adolescent-focused, but mature enough for a wider audience. I appreciated the jumps back and forth between the past and the present as it never focused too long on one specific scene, yet still was able to tie the entire story nicely together.
The narration was very well done. The reader accompanies Mia through her experience as she narrated it herself. The teenage romance is ideally portrayed to invoke sympathy and a degree of mushy feelings without causing the reader to start rolling their eyes or shaking their head in disbelief.
This story was a quick read that had me invested in it until the end. It was a nice change of my usual choice of books and I do not regret reading it.

View all my reviews