Sunday 23 November 2014

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

SiddharthaSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was already in the middle of reading two other books when I decided to pick up Siddhartha, mostly because the one book (an ebook) was too spine tingling to read late at night in bed, while the other was a print book that would have been too straining on the eyes to read in bed with minimal light. The main reason for deciding to read Siddhartha now, was my impending 30th birthday and the mini mid-life crisis I was experiencing. So, in the hope of finding some advice or soothing comfort, I embarked on this journey of classic German literature in German.
I haven't read any classic German literature in German in 15 years and it was such a pleasure reading a language that can be so intricate, complex and beautiful.
With respect to the story and the protagonist, I feel slightly bad for admitting that I wished Siddhartha could have gone through a bit more hardship in order to achieve what he was searching for all his life. I found he was very unappreciative of the life and friends he had and I felt a bit cheated by the ending the author chose for him and especially the manner in which he did end it.
However, it was a great narration that gave plenty for me to think about and reevaluate that which we in the 21st century consider important in life.
I do not want to exaggerate, but I really do believe that everyone should read this little narration at one point during their adulthood.


View all my reviews