Thursday 21 May 2015

A Share in Death (Kincaid & James #1) by Deborah Crombie

A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was in a murder mystery mood and had a difficult time finding anything that really caught my interest. After much searching I found this book, hoping it would satisfy my craving for a good detective story.
Generally speaking, the story was entertaining enough. It was evident that this book was to act as an introduction to a long lasting series containing the same main characters, hence interest and intrigue of those characters was set up, without much resolution to the personal conflicts they experience.
The plot was straight forward and easy to follow; however, the writing proved to cause a bit of confusion when it came to descriptions of places and scenes that seemed important to the overall development of the plot and solving of the murder.
As already mentioned, the main characters were introduced and interest was established, but not much was given to really build up a connection with those characters as a reader. I also had to stop and check the publication year, since I kept wondering about the subtle and underlying comments about male and female social roles and their status within said society. It felt a bit old-fashioned and chauvinistic.
Overall, it was a good story, but not great. I am still undecided, if I will continue this series.


View all my reviews