Saturday 28 November 2015

Such is my Beloved by Morley Callaghan

Such Is My BelovedSuch Is My Beloved by Morley Callaghan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was on the fence about this story before I began reading it, since I assumed it would mostly focus on the priest and his church duties, a topic which always makes me a bit nervous. But as the saying goes, do not judge a book by its cover, so must a reader not judge the book too much on the little synopsis provided.
The character of the priest was an intriguing representation of human nature and the duties we adopt in our lifetime. The secondary characters challenge and enrich the the main character's personality and internal conflict, while at the same time bringing forth their own struggles and sense of loss.
The plot progresses very nicely, without any unnecessary details or attempts to sound poetic, taking away from the story's message.
The writing is absolutely superb. The author has an ease and control over the words he chose to express the characters and plot that the reading experience became one of a kind.
Even though this story was rather short, the impact it had on the reader is tremendous. The representation of human nature, inner conflict and the ideals of duty, religion and right versus wrong have the reader question and contemplate that which we see and experience every day. It was a great read, which can be finished in one sitting and I recommend it to anyone.

View all my reviews