Saturday 12 March 2016

Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga #1) by Erica Cameron

Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)Sing Sweet Nightingale by Erica Cameron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I had a very difficult time formulating a review of this story, because there are plenty of elements that I truly enjoyed while reading it, but then there were also parts that had me roll my eyes in sheer annoyance and caused me to set the book aside time and time again.
The story is narrated from two character’s point-of-view, which always provides much more insight into the story and helps the reader get more connected with the plot and characters; however, when one character is a demon-manipulated teenager with a bad case of Stockholm Syndrome, while being of the opinion that she is too good for this world, then having to read her side of the story becomes increasing odious and has the reader checking how many pages are left until the chapter is over. On the other hand, there is the male protagonist, who just really wants to help and rid this world of demons. A nice guy with a tragic past and two incredibly helpful appreciative sidekicks, who are a joy to accompany on their task to save the ungrateful damsel in distress.
The plot left much to ponder during and even after the story is long finished. As I am ranting about an ungrateful and emotional teenager, I have to admit that the issues presented in this story paint a larger picture of emotional and psychological manipulation and abuse so often seen in the domestic environment. This plus the demonic elements that pop up from time to time makes this story an intriguing one, even if one character is a bit insufferable.
The writing left something to desire mostly due to the fact that the story switches back forth between the male and female protagonist with each chapter and in doing so the author repeats scenes, describing them from both points of view. Sometimes this adds entertainment to the reading experience, but when it occurs throughout the entire book, it becomes tedious. The story, when edited differently could have actually been 30% shorter and just as entertaining.
Overall, I have to say this was a good story, but the aforementioned points that took away from the general enjoyment left me a bit hanging in mid air, therefore I cannot give it more than 3 stars. I would still suggest it to someone looking for a YA story with paranormal elements.

View all my reviews