Saturday 26 March 2016

The History Major by Michael Phillip Cash

The History MajorThe History Major by Michael Phillip Cash
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
The first half of this novella was probably the best written manifestation of a recurring nightmare I had during my very long university career and it felt strangely therapeutic to see it on the page before me. It provided a sense of comfort, knowing that I might not be the only one with such an imagination. I have to give the author great credit for being able to create such a strong eerie setting right from the start.
I could not stand the main character, though. Spoiled, in need of constant attention and way too focused on what other people think, she did not strike me as a character in need of my sympathy. Having said that, it added a valuable element to the story, which worked much better than had she been a likeable character.
The plot was very interesting, took its time to unfold and provided much to ponder long after finishing the story.
The writing was smooth, the dialogue between characters flowed nicely, while constantly keeping a sense of mystery while the plot slowly came to a conclusion.
Overall, this was a very enjoyable novella that included elements of horror, science fiction, mystery and a hint of fantasy. A quick read with an intriguing “aha” moment, I would recommend this story for anyone, who enjoys stories of the aforementioned genres. I only wished it was a bit longer to satisfy my curiosity of the philosophical points mentioned.

View all my reviews