Sunday 12 February 2017

One Wish Away (Djinn Empire, #1) by Ingrid Seymour

One Wish Away (Djinn Empire, #1)One Wish Away by Ingrid Seymour
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I was excited to start this story. The plot sounded great and I love stories of djinns and the supernatural. I had to take a few days after finishing this story to write this review to stop myself from going into a full rant. So many things I want to point out and vent about, but I will try to keep this short and spoiler free.
The plot was not original, but obviously had me request this book, I mean based on the description. What I found was a story that was so predictable, with so many little nuances of social commentaries that are never fully fleshed out or developed. Then the plot conveniences began and all I could think about when I was reading it was “oh goodie, that worked out well”.
The main character was supposed to come across as heart broken, but she was an angry, ill-tempered, rude, selfish and boring naïve girl. She doesn’t learn one thing. There was no character development and the love interest was nothing more than a typical cardboard cut out of a perfect guy.
The writing was at times too detailed. There were also a lot of spelling mistakes in my version of the book and the repetition of descriptions and even entire scenes started to grate on my nerves.
Overall, I felt like this story was supposed to bring out some clean, but steamy scenes with almost kissing and good morals. I really wasn’t sure what the author was trying to achieve and it all fell flat at the end with an overly drawn out conclusion that really wasn’t a conclusion and predictable outcomes. This wasn’t my cup of tea and I wouldn’t recommend it.

View all my reviews