Wednesday 1 February 2017

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Snow Like Ashes has been on my Kindle for at least a year and every time I wasn’t sure what to read I came back to this title, only to put it back on its digital shelf. With the new year freshly started and having been in a reading slump most of last year, I thought “Why not? What’s the worst that could happen?” Well, I sure am glad I finally gave this story a try. It was engaging, adventurous and a quick read that has me excited for the next installment.
The plot was easy to follow. I always have difficulty keeping up with plots that try to cram in too much of everything; too much political intrigue, too much romance, too much magic etc.; I was pleasantly surprised and very happy that it focused mainly on the protagonist’s conflict with respect to the surrounding circumstances of her fate.
The characters were very nicely fleshed out. The protagonist is an interesting character with faults and weaknesses that make her relatable and real. She is honest and her relationships with the various secondary characters show great potential for the subsequent installments of this series.
The writing has a great flow without sounding too simplistic or boring. The writing draws the reader in and won’t let go. I’m looking forward to reading the second part, although the wait for my library to have the book ready for me is a bit agonizing.
Overall, this book was a great choice to start the new year and I’m glad I finally started reading this series. I would recommend it to those, who enjoy magic, strong female protagonists, a good helping of political intrigue and adventure.

View all my reviews