Sunday 12 February 2017

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1)The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Like a well-crafted chocolate truffle, melting in one’s mouth, some stories are just as beautifully created. The Bone Witch is a wonderful story about magic, betrayal, love and fate. I have to warn any reader, though, this book starts out very slow, which can be a bit of a turn off for most since it takes about 20% for the story to fully begin and capture the reader.
The plot is intriguing. As slow as it begins, the plot is mysterious enough to keep me motivated to continue, mostly because of the prologues that accompany each chapter. The slow narration of the protagonist’s life and her metamorphosis from a simple village girl into the bone witch, and the political and social implications as well as the burdens that come with becoming what she was meant to be are a great foundation for beautiful storytelling.
The narration was well chosen for this type of story. Written in the first person point of view, it provides the reader with a level of insight and knowledge into the protagonist’s life that was extremely beneficial to the overall beauty of the story.
The characters were created very well, with great depths and multidimensional personalities that enriched the story tremendously. I enjoyed both the main and secondary characters equally. The dry humour and wit shown by all and the mysterious male interest make for a great mix.
The writing was captivating. Before I knew it, I was flying through half the book without knowing it. It flowed effortlessly.
Overall, I read a few reviews that voiced their displeasure about this story, which I could not really see while reading it myself. It was a great story, great world building and a perfect set up for the second installment, which cannot come soon enough. I would recommend it to anyone, who enjoys mystery, magic, fantasy and a strong female lead.

View all my reviews