Saturday 20 January 2018

The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #2) by Amanda Lovelace

The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #2)The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One by Amanda Lovelace
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
As the introduction to this collection of poems states, it deals with abuse, assault, body issues, eating disorders and childhood trauma.
Having had personal experience with a few of these topics myself, reading these poems was truly a journey through a range of intense emotions.
I appreciated the poet taking her time and exploring the emotions before moving on and almost guiding the reader to begin the healing process. The anger and hurt and suppression felt leads the way to stand up, speak up and fight, which in turn leads to allowing the reader to heal.
Overall, I haven’t had a chance to read the first collection in this series, but will do so as soon as it is available at my local library. As the poet warns, her poems deal with a lot of sensitive topics and one should practice self-care at all times. Having said that, I appreciated the poet’s sincere and honest address of these issues and I would recommend this collection of poems.

View all my reviews