Sunday 28 January 2018

Up From The Deep (Fantomah, #1) by Ray Fawkes, Soo Lee

Up From The Deep (Fantomah, #1)Up From The Deep by Ray Fawkes
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was given this ARC by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
The main issue I had with this comic was the format in which it was provided and the difficulties I had reading it; the pages would jump back and forth by up to 50 pages and it looked like various frames were cut off. Just prior to reading this comic I read another one and a collection of poetry in the same file type and with the same program and encountered no problems at all.
This plus the fact that the story is meant to begin by explaining very little and slowly unfolds towards the end (as I was able to discover from other reviews) made this reading experience very frustrating and lacked anything that could be considered flow of narration.
The graphics were good enough, but I was so preoccupied with trying to stay on the current page and figuring out if I had missed any frames that I could not fully appreciate the artistic talent on display.
Overall, it is a shame that the format did not work for the story, because I was really interested in reading it. I can’t honestly say if I would recommend it or give it a pass and my rating is reflecting the reading experience as a whole and obviously is not solely reflecting the author’s/artist’s work.

View all my reviews