Thursday 21 May 2015

Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror #1) by Mary Jo Putney

Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1)Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Based on the description of the book I was quite surprised when the plot developed in an entire differently direction, leaving me surprised and even confused as to whether I was actually reading the correct book. After I got over my initial surprise and confusion, I began to enjoy the story tremendously, although at times I would still have my brows knitted in befuddled intrigue by the decisions the author chose to flesh out the plot as well as the characters.
The story was told through the point of view of the female protagonist, who in my opinion did not possess enough of a multidimensional character in order to move the story along, especially for the remainder of this trilogy. I found her more to be an anchor onto which the emerging and more interesting secondary characters began to grow and develop. She was a nice enough girl as she is supposed to represent all that was typical of female behaviour at the beginning of the 1800's; however, at times the insights into thoughts and emotions seemed rather odious and naive.
As I mentioned above, the plot of this story and the entire story from beginning until the end was very intriguing and rich. It was easy to follow and barely contained any miscellaneous details that would have distracted from the main premise of this story.
The writing was straightforward and contained a nice flow that kept the mood of the story throughout.
I finished the entire trilogy before starting my reviews of any of the books, primarily because I really wanted to know how this adventure filled, regency romance story would conclude.
This book is geared towards the younger audience of the young adult fiction genre. It reminded me in parts, the adventurous parts, of the series by Enid Blyton The Five Friends with a splash of clean romance. I would recommend this book to anyone in the mood for adventure, the building of friendships and the good old concept of first love.

View all my reviews